Sheets & Giggles' content tips and tricks for online brands
S&G's content strategy according to CEO Colin McIntosh
Content is king is a thing we hate saying, but it's true, we hate admitting.
Recently, S&G CEO, Colin, sat down with Liz Giorgi, the CEO and co-founder of Soona, to discuss his journey from a tech startup to a textile startup. (Please note the clever wordplay.)
Colin discussed S&G's content, why it's so important to us, how to do it right, and how to do it wrong.
Here is the tl;dr in a convenient bullet list.
Content tips and tricks
- Doing a photo shoot? Build it around a theme or concept.
We built our very first photo shoot around the concept of three men in bed drinking wine. Cheers.
- For product and lifestyle photos, do something totally unique and visually different from other brands. The goal is to get people to stop scrolling.
Like this. This was for our comforter campaign, "The comforter you'll want to wear everywhere."
- Be sweet, not saccharine.
- Be sarcastic, not biting.
- Be funny, not corny.
- Be clever, but don't try too hard.
- People don't have short attention spans, they have short consideration spans. Make your content worthy of your audience's time.
- Forget generic product descriptions on your website. Be funny, be clever, be human. Nobody knows what "artisanal" means.
- Make content that people enjoy so much they share it with a friend. Like everything on our incredible Instagram page. (You're killing it, Carl.)
- Take risks. Don't play it safe.
We made a video about a heat demon. It offended some people, but delighted most. Hell, yeah.
- Don't be redundant like we were in the previous bullet.
- Build a core audience and speak directly to them. Don't try to be everything to everyone.
- Puns scale, apparently, but don't go overboard.
Watch the full interview here: