Happy New Year from S&G!
Sheets & Giggles™ turns 3 this year. We’re officially threenagers – wild, defiant, extremely particular. Don’t worry, it’s completely normal, we’re just establishing our independence.
To be completely honest, this whole thing started out as a joke. Here’s a transcript of the actual conversation that foisted S&G upon the universe:
Our Founder & CEO, Colin: Know what would be a funny name for a bedding company? Sheets & Giggles. Get it? It’s a company based entirely on a pun! We could make buying sheets fun and sustainable, be a little out-there, use eucalyptus instead of cotton... What do you think?
Denny’s Waiter: I have other tables.
Later that day (approximately), we launched S&G on Indiegogo with a crowdfunding campaign to test the waters. The response was overwhelming – 2,400 Backers and over $284,000 in preorders later, we were crowned* the Most Popular Indiegogo Campaign Ever for Bedding. We knew we either had to start making some sheets, or skip town and take to the sea. In the end, we decided to do the right thing.
*Crowned in a small, sparsely attended ceremony in the CEO's studio apartment.
And the rest is history, as they say. For all you S&G history buffs (all 12 of you), here are some of the highlights from our first 3ish years in business:
- A few months after launch, we beat artificial intelligence, cryptocurrency, and other amazing companies to take home first place at Denver Startup Week’s 2018 pitch competition.
- The press fell in love with us (/ our lyocell sheets). Read these glowing reviews from Apartment Therapy, Forbes, & Buzzfeed. This isn’t rouge, we’re blushing (okay, it’s a little bit of rouge to emphasize the cheekbones).
- The S&G Community grew exponentially. Our flagship 100% Eucalyptus Lyocell Sheet Sets surpassed 1,000 5-Star reviews in less than a year of shipping. The love is real.
- We sold tens of thousands of sustainable eucalyptus lyocell bedding products. Compared to cotton, we estimate we’ve saved almost 30 million gallons of water! Or, if you prefer, over 100,000 years* worth of drinking water. Take that, Earth! Seriously, take it, you look dehydrated.
- In September 2019, we took our first step out of the bedroom and released a 100% Eucalyptus Lyocell Throw Blanket to rave reviews from people and pets alike.
- During Black Friday 2019, we asked our our high koala-ty Community to deliver, and they did, raising $17,657.80 to help koalas recover in the wake of the devastating bushfires in Australia this year.
- In November, we upgraded to doodley, eco-friendly, plastic-free packaging.
- In December, we hired an extremely handsome and talented blog writer.
*These are estimates; we’re a bedding company, not NASA... but actually our numbers come from Ecoinvent and other reputable databases.
So what’s next for this online bedding company?
More of the same. And just... more :)
In 2020, we’ll work hard to make your home even softer and sustainabler (not a word) with all new Eucalyptus lyocell products like comforters, eye masks, and weighted throw blankets.
So, keep refreshing SheetsGiggles.com day after day until they appear…or we can just send you an email when they’re ready. Yeah, that’s probably easier. Sign up to guarantee yourself access to our best preorder discounts for new products.
Anyway, we hope 2020 brings you peace, happiness, and 7-9 hours of restorative sleep each night. And we hope we can help with at least a couple of those things.
And, hey, if this Eucalyptus sheets thing doesn’t work out, we can always fall back on our kitchenware company: Absolutely No Forks to Give™
Here’s to 2020 vision,
The S&G Team